Home > Commercial Product, Strange Encounter, Unusual Sightings > Insect Found In Michelina’s Frozen Dinner

Insect Found In Michelina’s Frozen Dinner

February 25th, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

I received an urgent e-mail from Karin today.  In it she asked how my day was going.  Did I feed the cat this morning?  What new movies were released on blu-ray today?  Oh, and by the way, did I know that she found a bug in her frozen dinner this afternoon?

At first I thought that must be a typo.  Did she just say that she found a bug in her frozen dinner?

At home this evening she brought up the bug issue once again, showing me a cell phone picture she took.  I couldn’t really make out what was in the picture because of the poor quality (see below.  I cleaned it up as best I could).  Still not quite believing her, Karin pulled out of her bag a paper cup stuffed with tissues.  She told me that this is what she found in her Michelina’s frozen meal.

Wrapped up within these tissues was this monster:

Yummy!

Worm found in a Michelina's frozen dinner

I'm glad Karin brought this home to be photographed. Slightly disgusted, but glad ;-)

One of the offending frozen dinners that contained the bug

One of the offending frozen dinners that contained the bug. Not the same box or dish that the bug was found in, but the same brand bought at the same time as the bug dinner. If this bug dinner was inspired by a chef, I'd be sure to double-check his credentials...

Karins original cell phone pic

Karin's original cell phone pic

As you can see, this bug was flash frozen in a Michelina’s dinner.  We’ll never buy this brand again.

What’s really annoying me about this is that somebody, somewhere, has a Michelina’s frozen food product which contains the other half of this bug.

So…what’s in your freezer?

UPDATE: Belliso Foods contacted us in an effort to correct this situation.

1. February 25th, 2009 at 11:26 | #1

Definitely cringeworthy!

2. February 26th, 2009 at 15:38 | #2

That is so fucking disgusting. It immediate reminded me of this video….

I just ate pizza and I feel sick now.

3. James
    James
    March 21st, 2009 at 10:46 | #3

I think FDA allows some many insect parts in frozen food. Their is also a quota off rat hair in meet.

If you really want to be grossed out read Upton Sinclair’s “The Jungle”
    Don’t worry about the packing process and the subsequent heating would kill all germs.

4. March 21st, 2009 at 10:54 | #4

Thanks James. Oddly enough I posted some quick facts in an earlier entry regarding this very subject just days prior to this now infamous “bug incident”.

5. Florence Cummings
    Florence Cummings
    October 17th, 2009 at 09:16 | #5

This may be a surprise to some but I have found the same larve’ in another line of frozen food. I dont Flies have a favorite frozen meal…

6. JSmith
    JSmith
    October 19th, 2009 at 09:48 | #6

my boyfriend and i each just had one of these meals, and each found a hair in the food, neither of which looked like ours. seeing as how we kept the box covered up until eating it, I was kind of grossed out.

7. Renuka
    Renuka
    June 22nd, 2010 at 12:23 | #7

oopsie poopsie i just bought 10 for $10.. i admit, i was attracted to the price.. maybe I should have read up first.. i’ll e careful next time.. thanks!

8. June 22nd, 2010 at 18:38 | #8

@Renuka I’m sure you’ll be “insect free” crosses fingers

9. Anonymous
    December 10th, 2010 at 11:17 | #9

fuckin disgusted i eat these dinners all the time! I started to shake when i read the bug article hell, i just finished an entree’…….. wtf:(

10. Dee
    Dee
    November 1st, 2011 at 11:41 | #10

The BUG, is a worm that is found in broccoli.

Many vegatables you eat grown in the garden is going to have these pests.
    I love broccoli so I’m on the lookout for them. I have found them 2 times while at a restaraunt, three x in frozen broccoli and once what looked to be one in a frozen tv dinner.
    The reason some get missed in preparing foods is, they are almost the same color and they cling very well. Soaking Broccoli in salt water helps prevent this.

11. November 2nd, 2011 at 21:49 | #11

Thanks for the info! I’m sure bugs are common in food, but I still find it shocking when a whole bug winds up in my frozen meal…