Simple pleasures make life worth living. Without them, we’re doomed to a frantic, harrying lifestyle with no room for relaxation, recovery, introspection, and appreciation for the little things.
I’m an easy going guy. If I had to list the simple things in life I enjoy, they would have to include:
- Sitting on the couch, wearing my favorite winter jacket, reading a book
- …actually, books in general do it for me
- A glass of soda, stacked to the brim with ice
- Cereal and cartoons on Saturday morning (yeah, I never grew up)
- Hugs from my three year old son
- Picking up blu-ray movies after work on Friday
- Rubik’s Cubes
- Holding hands with the wife and son a-la Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Going down that perfect hill on my long board skateboard
- Witches Rain (rain when the sun is out)
It’s these things, and more, that keeps me chugging away at life. It’s the art of slowing down that makes me human. These things keep me sane in world where time is our enemy, traffic never cooperates, and money is the name of the game. After a long grueling day at the office, give me ten minutes on my skateboard and I’m well on my way to a full recovery and primed for another eight-hour shift.
What simple pleasures do you enjoy?