Home > Personal > Ahhhhh!

Ahhhhh!

January 30th, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

Simple pleasures make life worth living.  Without them, we’re doomed to a frantic, harrying lifestyle with no room for relaxation, recovery, introspection, and appreciation for the little things.

I’m an easy going guy.  If I had to list the simple things in life I enjoy, they would have to include:

• Sitting on the couch, wearing my favorite winter jacket, reading a book
  • …actually, books in general do it for me
  • A glass of soda, stacked to the brim with ice
  • Music!
  • Cereal and cartoons on Saturday morning (yeah, I never grew up)
  • Hugs from my three year old son
  • Picking up blu-ray movies after work on Friday
  • Rubik’s Cubes
  • Holding hands with the wife and son a-la Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
  • Going down that perfect hill on my long board skateboard
  • Witches Rain (rain when the sun is out)

books

It’s these things, and more, that keeps me chugging away at life.  It’s the art of slowing down that makes me human.  These things keep me sane in world where time is our enemy, traffic never cooperates, and money is the name of the game.  After a long grueling day at the office, give me ten minutes on my skateboard and I’m well on my way to a full recovery and primed for another eight-hour shift.

What simple pleasures do you enjoy?

Categories: Personal Tags:
  1. January 30th, 2013 at 04:53 | #1

I’m with you all the way on the books and music! I would add my faithful wonderdog to the list, and mocha latte, and watching “Wipeout!” which makes me fall over sideways laughing, while gleefully spouting “What a dumbass!” Teh life, it haz goodness.

2. January 30th, 2013 at 05:07 | #2

Well, look at that! A perfect ‘How to be HAPPY’ post!! :) It’s my theory that it’s the little things in life which determine whether you’re a happy person or not, and these are excellent examples.

I love the term ‘Witches Rain’. I’ve never heard the term before, but I like it!

3. January 30th, 2013 at 05:46 | #3

Books and music do it for me, too. Never heard of Witches Rain, but I know what you mean. We have sunshine and rain is promised, I wonder if I’ll see a witch…grins.

4. January 30th, 2013 at 06:59 | #4

Love your list!

“Cereal and cartoons on Saturday morning (yeah, I never grew up)”

OMG…how fabulous is that!

And yes, having lived in Florida, I’ve experienced “Witches Rain” as well!

One of my favorite simple pleasures is getting up on a rainy Sunday morning; making coffee; and watching an old, black and white movie, while lying on the floor with pillows and a blanket.

Also, eating a burger with French fries and a coke with a lemon wedge in it – YUMMY!

January 30th, 2013 at 08:35 | #5

Books/reading material in general would take first place. Then going for a walk, unless it’s too hot, in which case I melt. Then music. Yep, simple pleasures!

I am curious about the winter jacket though. Is that like a blanket, only more form-fitting?

6. January 30th, 2013 at 09:14 | #6

+1 on watching Wipeout. The wife and I love this show as well! Can’t get enough of the goofy humor and the self-destruction of the contenstants. :-)

7. January 30th, 2013 at 09:15 | #7

Jay from The Depp Effect :

Yeah, I’m not sure where I picked up on the term “Witches rain”, but it seems to fit. Been using that term for forever, and I always seem to have to explain it when I say it out loud.

8. January 30th, 2013 at 09:16 | #8

All hail creative people like authors and musicians! They seem to know where I’m coming from :-)

9. January 30th, 2013 at 09:16 | #9

Love your list!

“Cereal and cartoons on Saturday morning (yeah, I never grew up)”

OMG…how fabulous is that!

And yes, having lived in Florida, I’ve experienced “Witches Rain” as well!

Burger and fries….Mmmmm…I think I might just have to get that for lunch today!

10. January 30th, 2013 at 09:21 | #10

Ah, the infamous coat. I picked it up at a military surplus store about 10 years ago. It’s all cloth, with a super-soft lining. Totally waterproof but completely suple. The sleeve length is absolutely perfect, with stretchy cuffs that prevent the sleeves from sliding up, no matter what position I’m in. The bottom plastic button is broken in half but still hanging on, and on the back is painted in stenciled letters “LAC”, which stands for Los Angeles County. It’s an old prison jacket that somebody pawned off at the surplus store. I don’t wear it out in public. Strickly an indoor piece of clothing because it has LAC on the back, but it’s the most comfortable article of clothing that I’ve ever owned, and wouldn’t give it up for the world.

January 30th, 2013 at 18:48 | #11

Ahhh. And I still don’t know why you like to wear it inside. Heater broken? (Hence the blanket comment)

12. January 31st, 2013 at 06:37 | #12

@HermanTurnip
    I know. My favorite quip was “this obstacle puts the hospital back in hospitality!”

13. January 31st, 2013 at 20:08 | #13

I happen to have a house that’s both cool in the summer and in the winter, so there’s nothing like throwing on this coat and settling down with a great read! :-)

14. January 31st, 2013 at 20:09 | #14

@HermanTurnip

Heh…yeah, that’s the humor I love!