Home > Work > What Job Market?

What Job Market?

February 22nd, 2013 Leave a comment Go to comments

A friend of mine, a very talented IT professional, was recently let go from his job. I won’t go into the specifics of what happened, but apparently an error was made somewhere, an investigation was launched, and my friend was terminated.

But that’s the nature of IT. It’s 100% accuracy, or the possibility of being let go. And since nobody can be 100% accurate (hey, we’re all human), we live with the threat of unemployment if we happen to fat finger something or accidentally hit the ENTER key.  It just comes with the territory.

But anyway, getting back on point, my friend was let go from his company. And my friend, a very smart man, is having difficulties finding a new job in San Diego. He wrote me an e-mail the other day asking if he could use me as a reference. I immediately said, “Sure! Of course. Anything you need. What company are you applying to?” I asked.

“Nordstrom,” he replied.

“Nordstrom, huh? Cool. IT position?” I asked.

“No, floor sales. Haven’t found a job in IT yet.”

And there you go. A computer talent, a guy who trained me in my job when we were working together at another company, can’t seem to be able secure a technical position somewhere locally.

DebbieDowner

I’m not sure how I feel about this. On one hand there’s an uncomfortable pit in my stomach knowing that somebody with his talent can’t find another quality job in San Diego, and on the other hand I’m well aware that companies are bolting out of California left and right and relocating to other states.

If the roles were reversed, and I was on the outs, I think I’d be pulling up roots and moving to someplace like Texas were jobs are more plentiful, the government fairer towards business owners, and property cheaper.

But that’s often easier said than done.

And so here I sit, scratching my head, unable to think of a time when it was this difficult to find gainful employment. What if my position at my place of employment was ever axed, how difficult would it be to find another job?

These are scary questions I’ve been mulling over these past few days.

Geez…I hate being such a Debbie Downer, especially on a Friday.

Categories: Work Tags:
  1. February 22nd, 2013 at 02:39 | #1

Well, I hope it doesn’t come to that…. losing your job, I mean. Think positively, don’t let it get you down. Actually, I didn’t realise IT work needed to be so perfect. Enjoy your weekend.

2. February 22nd, 2013 at 08:14 | #2

No, I don’t think you’re being a Debbie Downer at all, because this is something that is quite prevalent right now for SO many people.

I remember when I first moved back to Philly and could not find a job in my field, and that paid what I was used to making. For the first year, I had to work TWO different jobs to equal the pay I was accustomed to. God, I hated doing it, but I had no choice.

This is a very scary time right now in our country. And I feel so lucky to have a job, period. But like in your business, I could be let go at any time with no notice because I’m basically an independent contractor.

Have a GREAT weekend, buddy!

February 22nd, 2013 at 09:43 | #3

I know it doesn’t help any, but it’s not good in Canada either. I hope your friend lands something soon, and that you don’t need to ever face the problem.

4. February 22nd, 2013 at 10:09 | #4

It’s scary. Very scary.

5. February 24th, 2013 at 12:18 | #5

I hope your friend finds something soon (and I hope he remembers that sometimes, necessity is the mother of invention). You are a good-nik to give him a ref. Try not to mull too much… I suspect that you would land on your feet :)

6. February 24th, 2013 at 19:02 | #6

Whelp, as it stands right now I’m in no danger of losing my job. I just fear for the future of my friend, but I’m sure he’ll eventually find something!

7. February 24th, 2013 at 19:03 | #7

Have a GREAT weekend, buddy!

Exactly. I feel lucky to have a job, but if the worst does ever come to worst, I’m sure I’d be able to land something decent. No worries there! :-)

8. February 24th, 2013 at 19:03 | #8

Yeah, it seems the world over is hurting, not counting China! Heh…

9. February 24th, 2013 at 19:05 | #9

Elizabeth Rose Stanton :

I would hope I’d be able to land on my feet. Not being in my friend’s position, I tend to dwell on the worst case scenario. But, with my years in the IT field and my experience, I have no worries that I’d be out of a job for long. But for now, it’s smooth sailing!

10. February 26th, 2013 at 03:39 | #10

I don’t think it’s just IT, either … any job which comes with any kind of responsibility (and isn’t local government where you seem to be able to make cock-ups on a daily basis and get a mere slap on the wrist) seems to have the same risk of ‘being let go’ these days. I think bosses are also keen to sack people and replace them because sometimes they can do so at a lower salary, and at the same time avoid the ‘long term employment’ payouts that redundancy can attract.

Hope you keep your job, and your friend finds another good one!

11. February 26th, 2013 at 17:45 | #11

I’ve read that IT jobs are on the rise, but the difference in finding a good one might be like you mentioned… moving out of state. Of course, not everyone is in a position to do that so I guess those who can be flexible and a bit adventurous will make out the best. Hope your friend finds work!